September 22, 2013

TV: Cher Interview on CBS Sunday Morning


At 67, the singer born Cherilyn Sarkisian is nothing if not forthright. In an interview for "Sunday Morning," Anthony Mason asked Cher about her career, her influence on other singers, her family life, and the impact of the media on her privacy. Cher's responses were characteristically playful, thoughtful and entertaining -- too entertaining to cut down.

In this extended, web-exclusive transcript, the Grammy-and Oscar-winner discusses her first husband and singing partner, Sonny Bono; her reputation for provocative fashion, and how she sees the similarly provocative garb of such performers as Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus; her gay fans; her relationship with her son, Chaz Bono (born Chastity Bono), and her mother, Georgia Holt (the subject of a new documentary, "Dear Mom, Love Cher"); her experiences as an actress, including the role Jack Nicholson didn't want her to play; and why she understands bands who wreck hotel rooms when on tour.

Mason: You've said that you're not a serious actor and you're not a serious singer.

Cher: I did?

Mason: Yeah. Please tell me you don't believe that?

Cher: I must have been high. I take my work seriously. I don't know, it must have been some sort of flippant, b------- thing that I said.

Mason: Okay, fair enough. I took it as more of what you said when you don't like your voice or something like that.

Cher: I think people said or thought that I didn't take my work seriously because of something I said. I said something about, like, taking myself seriously. I am serious about my work. I'm so serious, you have no idea. I'm serious about my work, but I don't take myself seriously. I'm not precious, you know. Do you understand what I mean by precious?

Mason: Totally.

Cher: Okay. Totally, dude!

Mason: Some newspaper threw a serious of very quick questions at you, one of which was, 'Who's the most interesting person you've ever met?'

Cher: And what'd I say?

Mason: You said Sonny.
More>>
Source:CBS

Please follow The Mac Wire  on Twitter and Facebook.

Post a Comment