The best-selling single in the history of the UK charts by a female artist has been revealed.
Cher’s ‘Believe’ was released in October 1998, spent seven weeks at No. 1 and has sold 1.78 million copies to date.
In celebration of yesterday’s International Women’s Day (March 8) the Official Charts Company compiled a list of the top 40 selling singles by female artists.
Following behind Cher in the best-sellers list is Whitney Houston’s cover of Dolly Parton’s ‘I Will Always Love You’ which provided the theme song for the film ‘The Bodyguard’. Houston’s power ballad has sold 1.58 million copies since its release in 1992.
Britney Spears’ 1999 debut single ‘…Baby One More Time’ came in third with sales of 1.53 million.
The top ten best-selling singles by female artists in the UK chart are as follows:
1. Cher - 'Believe'
2. Whitney Houston - 'I Will Always Love You'
3. Britney Spears - '...Baby One More Time'
4. Celine Dion - 'My Heart Will Go On'
5. Adele - 'Someone Like You'
6. Jennifer Rush - 'The Power of Love'
7. Spice Girls - 'Wannabe'
8. Celine Dion - 'Think Twice'
9. Rihanna ft. Calvin Harris - 'We Found Love'
10. All Saints - 'Never Ever'