May 22, 2014
Virus Forces Paul McCartney to Continue to Cancel Shows
Sir Paul McCartney has reportedly been hospitalised.
The 71-year-old singer arrived in Japan to perform his Out There! series of shows earlier this month, however he has since cancelled them and upcoming shows in South Korea. He was said to be suffering from a virus and it's now been claimed he has been admitted to hospital.
The Sankei Sports newspaper claims Paul is being treated at a medical facility in Tokyo after the virus got worse. There has been no official confirmation that the musician is in hospital, although fans have already started gathering outside the establishment.
When news that his Japan and South Korea tours were being cancelled broke, a message was posted on Paul's website in which he apologised to fans.
"Doctors have ordered Paul complete rest and he has been doing all he can to get better," it read.
"Paul has only ever had to reschedule a handful of shows in his entire career and is so upset about this situation. He hates to let people down."
The musician added: "Unfortunately my condition has not improved overnight. I'm so disappointed and sorry to be letting my fans down."
Paul's next stage performances will see him touring North America and aren't until mid-June, with no suggestion that they are under threat at the moment.
An unnamed virus has certainly knocked down the seemingly ageless Paul McCartney as he has added a May 28 date in South Korea to the already nixed series of shows in Japan.
The latest victim was the May 28 show at the Jamsil Sports Complex Main Stadium, the Olympic venue in Seoul, South Korea. Last weekend, he postponed two Tokyo shows just hours before he was to take the stage before, ultimately, canceling his entire Japanese tour based on doctor's orders.
A spokesman said "After coming down with a virus in Japan, doctors have ordered Paul complete rest. Paul is still not feeling better and this cancelation [sic] is unavoidable."
McCartney added "I was really looking forward to visiting and playing in South Korea for the first time and I’m sorry to be letting fans down. I'm very disappointed by this and hope to be able to visit soon."
Alternative dates are being explored.